Treating yourself with snacks and other cuisines is necessary. Similarly, which dish could have attracted you the most in your search for snacks on a menu card? You would love the combination of bread and pork belly, which can only be found in the Gua Bao.
Origin of the dish
You often get bored eating the same chicken, egg sandwiches, or crunch burgers. To replace these traditional bakery snacks, look for this unique dish. This dish originally comes from a province in China, the Fujian province. Since the 20th century, many restaurants have offered it on their menus. Therefore, people called pork belly buns from that time. In 2009, it was named Gua Bao.
Likewise, in China, the description of this dish is like meat assembled in a bun. People of Huian put pork meat in the buns. They cooked and prepared the dish at festival times like weddings etc. Today, indeed, you will see a variety in these buns. Because people add various combinations to this dish. Some like to serve pork meat with green veggies. And some have it with crushed peanut etc.
Taiwanese prepare it with roasted vegetables, powder of peanut, and cilantro. In short, they have the original recipe. Also, they serve it with soups and sauces. The buns are very soft to eat. Similarly, adding crispy fried vegetables or chicken will make it crunchier.
Gua Bao Recipe
- All-purpose flour 3 cups
- Milk 3 tablespoons
- Water ¾ cup
- Yeast 2 teaspoons
- Sugar 2 tablespoon
- Melted butter 3 tablespoon
- Oil half cup
- Sesame seeds 1 teaspoon
- Ginger paste half tablespoon
- Garlic paste half tablespoon
- Black pepper grounded
- Pork belly 1 kg
- Chicken stock 4 cups
- Dingolay hot sauce 2 tablespoons
- Chili flakes 1 teaspoon
- Soya sauce 3 tablespoon
- Firstly, take a large bowl and put all-purpose flour
- Then, add sugar, melted butter, and yeast together
- New, gradually pour milk into the bowl and mix it
- After this, add water to the mixture
- Mix the mixture repeatedly
- Afterward, please take out the semi-liquid mixture and knead it
- Place this dough in a neat bowl and wait until it doubles up
- Take out the dough and repeat the kneading step
- Then you will make balls out of it
- Brush some oil on the dough balls
- And then flat these balls with a rolling pin
- You will have to fold this flat dough
- But place a stick inside it to create a space
- Now, place these in a baking oven
- Take these out when they have baked
- Place these buns in a steamer
Steps for its filling
- Add chicken stock to a pan
- Then add ginger and garlic paste with pork belly
- Let the mixture simmer until you feel the pork belly is cooked
- Using a strainer, drain the mixture and strain out the pork belly
- Afterward, make small cubes of this cooked meat
- Now, fry these with oil
- Also, add grounded black pepper
- For garnishing, mix soya sauce, Dingolay hot sauce, sesame seeds, and chili flakes on it
- Assemble the mixture in the steamed buns
- Finally, your buns are ready to eat
Variation in the fillings for buns
Furthermore, you can make your favorite fillings for the dish.
- Patties of fish
- Chicken with lettuce
- Crunchy chicken with garlic sauce
- Sesame chicken
- Barbeque pork
- Curry style pork
Also, the dish could be made with customizations. Instead of using pork, you can replace it with chicken and vegetables. Add grilled or fried chicken to the bun with spices and sauces for a chicken bun. To make a vegetable bun, sizzle the vegetables with hot sauce and place these in your buns. In addition to its flavors, the dish is heavily nutritious. Like it will help you gain weight. Also, to make the dish healthier, you can use wheat flour instead.
Freezing the buns
Moreover, you can store these homemade buns for a long time in a freezer. To use the frozen ones, you will have to place these at room temperature or use the defrosting option. Further, use a steamer to steam and makes these soft.
Dingolay hot sauces
With the addition of these hot sauces, your dishes will excel in their taste. They will taste a million times better if you add this sauce to your Bao Buns. Mainly, these sauces are prepared with the original Jamaican scotch bonnet peppers. Also, they have flavored the sauces with fruits. One is the pineapple-flavored gourmet hot sauce, and the other is a mango-flavored hot sauce. The third variant contains no fruits for flavor. You can spread this sauce in the middle of the bun for the buns. Then, place the fillings into the buns.
Variety of dishes with these Taiwanese buns
You can enjoy these buns with the following combinations
It can be a soup of noodles, vegetables, chicken, egg, and shrimp.
So, try this dish with some Chinese fried rice
Also, eat these buns with noodles.
Enjoy your buns with dumplings.
The recipe shared is the simplest one. You can have the best home-cooked Gua Bao with varieties. In essence, adding sauces will enhance its flavors to a higher level.