Location: Kangra district
Trek duration: 3 days 2 night
Trek trail: 26 kilometres ( back and forth)
Elevation: 2,934 m
Base camp: Reoti
Starting spot: Dharamkot
End spot: Mcleodganj
Difficulty level: Moderate
- Witness the surreal beauty of this high altitude, sparkling fresh water lake.
- The panoramic view of snow capped mountains peaks and lush green valleys will make you awestruck.
- Trek to the less explored Karori lake through chilgoza pines and lush subtropical forests and make your heart ponder.
- Mingle with welcoming villagers and learn new facts about their lifestyle and culture.
- Enjoy an overnight camping experience under the starry sky amidst the chills of the Himalayas.
How to reach?
Mcleodganj which is around 4 kilometres from Dharamkot, the starting point of the trek, has a great road connectivity with Delhi. Also there are direct public transports from other big cities like Dehradun, Chandigarh, Shimla and Pathankot.
One can also choose to visit by train to the nearest railway station Kangra, 27 km away from Dharamkot. One can book a private cab from the railway station to Dharamkot, the starting point.
The nearest airport, 17km from the starting point is Kangra airport. The airport has good connectivity with New Delhi and Chandigarh. Reach the starting point by taking a private cab or sharing taxis.
About the trek
Surfaced at an elevation of 9,650 ft or 2934m above the sea level, located in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh, Kakeri lake is a shallow freshwater lake. It is situated about 9 kilometres to the north west of Dharamshala and south of Dhauladhar range amidst high mountain peaks and lush green stretch. Also called the Kumarwah Lake, this is an offbeat destination visited by a very few people throughout the year. The place is a huge attraction for nature lovers and one passionate for photography.
The trek is moderately difficult but may become hard due to the weather conditions. Continuous rain or snowfall makes the path slippery, but crossing it all and reaching the top to witness nature at its best will always be worth the struggle. The place will surely offer some breathtaking views of snow capped mountain peaks and the ravishing Dhauladhar range from the top that would surely be an unforgettable moment of life.
The three day trek processes as follows-
Meet your group at the starting point (Dharamkot) and start your trek towards the Kareri village.
Enjoy camping under the night sky, some chit chat with the local villagers and spend night in your comfy tents.
Start your trek ahead to Reoti Base camp, and the lake further.
Day two of the trek include a few kilometres of level ground and some thrilling steeps and ascents.
The route cut through the immensely beautiful subtropical forests, along the Kareri Nullah stream, alpine grasslands and bridges.
Reach the lake and enjoy the view of sparkling glacial blue lake and the panoramic view from the top.
People also get on the top of the nearby hill to get a top view of this beautiful lake. There’s also a temple at the top of it with some space to restin.
Start your descent journey to the base camp, Reoti and enjoy overnight camping.
Continue your descent journey to Mcleodganj, the ending point of the trek.
Things to take along
- Woollen clothes and thermals
- Extra pair of socks and gloves
- Caps and mufflers ( most preferably woollen)
- Some common medicines and basic first aid kit.
- Water bottle and a bag pack
- Carry some ready to eat snacks and munchies for the way.
- Take along your best and most comfortable sports shoes.
- Don’t forget to take a camera to capture some of the best moments of your life and the beauty of nature.
- If you are suffering from any kind of breathing problem it is advised to consult a doctor before taking the trek and carry necessary medicines with you.
- Conjunction of alcohol is strictly prohibited during the Trek.
- Follow all the instructions of your guide for a better trekking experience.
- Schedule of the trek may change due to the unpredictable change in weather conditions.
Plan your trip to this mesmerizing place and experience some of the best moments of your life. Experience the paradise in the Himalayas and cherish the beauty of nature. This lesser taken track will definitely leave an irremovable mark on your heart and soul.