To study English in Australia, you can enrol in an English language school or a university.
To be eligible for admission, you must prove your English proficiency through a language test such as IELTS. It’s important to research your options and choose a program that fits your goals and budget. You may also need to obtain a student visa to study in Australia.
To study English in Melbourne, Australia, on a student visa, you will need to follow these steps:
- Choose a reputable English language school or university that offers courses for international students.
- Check the entry requirements and make sure you meet the English language proficiency standards, which may be assessed through a test such as IELTS.
- Apply to your chosen institution and pay the application fee (if applicable).
- Receive a Letter of Offer and an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) from the institution.
- Use the eCoE to apply for a student visa through the Department of Home Affairs.
- Provide any additional documentation required by the visa office, such as financial documents and health insurance.
- Pay the visa application fee and wait for the outcome of your visa application.
It’s important to note that the visa application process can take several weeks or months, so it’s recommended to start the process well before your intended start date. You may also seek advice from a qualified migration agent or lawyer for assistance with the visa application process.
If you’re looking to study General or Advanced English in Melbourne, Australia, there are several options available to you, including:
- English language schools: These schools offer a range of English language courses, including General and Advanced English, as well as specialized courses such as business or exam preparation.
- Universities: Some universities in Melbourne offer English language courses as part of their continuing education or TAFE programs.
- Private tutors: You can also consider hiring a private tutor to provide one-on-one English language instruction.
Regardless of your program type, it’s important to research your options and choose a program that fits your goals, budget, and schedule. Consider factors such as location, class size, and the qualifications and experience of the instructors when making your decision.
How much does it cost to study English in Australia?
The cost of studying English in Australia can vary depending on factors such as the type of program, length of study, and location. On average, English language courses can range from AUD 300 to AUD 500 per week, and a full-time program can cost anywhere from AUD 10,000 to AUD 20,000 for a year of study. Keep in mind that these are just estimates, and it’s best to check with specific schools or institutions for more accurate and up-to-date information on the costs of their programs.
You will also need to consider other expenses such as accommodation, food, transportation, and health insurance.
Free English courses for international students in Australia
Unfortunately, there are limited options for free English language courses for international students in Australia.
Some schools and universities may offer partial scholarships or bursaries to cover tuition fees, but these are typically competitive and based on academic merit or financial need.
However, some alternatives, such as volunteering opportunities, cultural exchange programs, or enrolling in a student-exchange program, may be worth considering.
These options offer a chance to practice and improve your English while immersing yourself in the local culture. You may also find free online resources, such as websites or apps, that offer English language lessons and practice materials.